AUGIE'S CORNER (work in progress)

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Jumpin the Fence

During the summer of 1942 sitting in the pigeon coop I fell in love. It was not a puppy love, but a forever love. He was older than me, but I think that was the exciting part, you see I was thirteen at the time and I did not know much about life except for my mother having so many babies, that I thought that one day I’m going to be just like her.

My name is Abigail Sinclair and I lived in Compton, California on a little street called Caldrock, this was a small street with a whole lot of chickens that ran loose all the time,

“If you drove down the street you had better be careful or you would have chicken gizzards and necks and stuff all on your front bumper, because those chickens multiple like mice.”

In maturing, I was slower than most girls my age, as far as I knew all of them by now had started, but not me. Maybe I was too active, being a cheerleader since Ralph J Bunch Junior High, on the track team and playing street football with my brothers.

My best friend at the time was Adrienne DuForest who lived next door. I think


her family was Creole who came from Louisiana. I’m not too sure what town they use to live in, I think one time she told me they lived in Bossier or something like that, anyway she came from a family almost as big as mine.

Adrienne had three brothers and four sisters, and she was the baby of all of them.
When we became best friends I knew there was something special about her, you see she had these brothers that was so pretty that it would hurt your eyes to look at them, especially (cont)

This is the third piece of a four part anthology coming soon     

1 comment:

lee said...

I LIKE THIS, IS THIS GOING TO BE A NOVEL OR LEFT AS ONE SHORT STORY. MY PARENTS WERE BORN DURING THAT TIME OF DISCO.